How to drag & drop files from the Jumpshare desktop app
Jumpshare's desktop app lets you drag and drop files from the pop-up window to your system or an online workspace, such as a document in Google Docs or Notion. The purpose of the feature is to offer a faster, more seamless workflow by eliminating the need to manually download or redownload files to be used in a project.
How to drag and drop files from the Jumpshare pop-up
- Click the kangaroo icon in the menu bar to launch Jumpshare.
- Click and drag any file from your Personal Library to the desktop, any folder within Finder, a supported application (like Pages), or an online workspace or document.
How does it work?
While the drag-and-drop feature appears to be quite simple on the surface, there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes to make possible the convenience it affords.
Storing select files temporarily
The first time you install the Jumpshare desktop app on your system, it downloads the 12 most recent media (image and video) files from your Personal Library and stores them in a local TempCache folder.
This folder will also store all future media uploads, including any screen recordings, GIF recordings, or screenshots you capture with the app, up to a maximum of 20 files. Any subsequent media uploads will automatically replace the oldest media file in this folder. This also applies to media files uploaded to your Personal Library from the Jumpshare web app or another device.
Why is this needed?
It is to ensure that your most recent uploads are always available for quick, seamless use without you having to manually download them. You may use drag and drop with older files and other file types as well. The app will automatically download such files to the TempCache folder before it transfers them to their destination. How long this takes will depend on the size of the file and the speed (bandwidth) of your internet connection.
Given the nature of the feature, we've imposed a few limitations in the interest of simplicity as well as to avoid overuse of your internet bandwidth.
- Drag and drop is only allowed for individual files in your Personal Library. Folders are not supported.
- You can drag and drop any type of file to your system or desktop. This serves as a faster alternative to using the Download option provided in the context (right-click) menu of each file.
- For online workspaces or documents, only media (image and video) files are supported.
- The maximum allowable size for media files automatically downloaded to the TempCache folder is 200MB. This file size limit does not apply to media files uploaded from the same system using Jumpshare.